Need to convert Paper drawings to CAD?
We have been providing this service to designers, architects, and engineers since 1995 … and offer one of the best quality services in terms of accuracy & usability of the cad converted drawings.
Our paper to cad conversion services deliver:
- The drawings will have proper cad entities and not the broken up (tough to clean-up and revise) conversions that the automated tools offer (yes there exist automated tools that will take scans of your drawing as an input and provide you with outputs in dwg/dxf formats. In our experience the quality of these automated tools is fine if the need is to just archive your drawings in a vector format. We always recommend clients with similar requirements to go for these tools as they are ‘Fast’ and almost ‘Free’. BUT, (and its a big but with a single ‘T’) if you need drawings that would be edited, modified, and shared with other engineering firms, these automatically converted cad drawings would mostly not be the most ideal for you.)
- The drawings will be converted to scale (accurate to the dimension as far as possible if the paper drawing in itself was drafted to scale and as per the sizes/dimensions.)
- The drawings will have basic layering used.
- Line types will be standard linetypes as existing within most cad software.
If No Automated Tool can do it … How Do We? :
- The open-secret is in the fact that we DO NOT use any automatic conversion tool in the conversion process.
- What we do is re-draw all the drawings in cad and with reference to the paper drawings (only we do not use the paper drawings for this … we use their scans. Clarification to this coming up next.)
What you would need to provide us with:
- We generally request all clients to keep their hard-copy drawings with them and only send scans of the drawings to us. Large format scanners are available at most reprographic services globally and should be easy to find for this. If however, you are not able to locate one, let us know and we will search for those close to your location and also discuss the requirement with them if needed (we generally request you to discuss things directly with them as its best for commerce.
- Scans can be in PDF / JPG / TIF format depending on the clarity and readability of the hard-copy drawings you need converted.
- Generally a 200dpi scan is just fine for clearly readable hard-copy drawings.
- The scans do not need to be in color, unless you need us to perform layering or other tasks based on colors of the drawing elements.
- Sending the drawings to us is best by email / online servers like Google Drive/Microsoft One Drive/DropBox, etc.
Wish to send us hard-copy drawings instead?
The choice to send us scans or paper / vellum / tracing / blue-prints is entirely up to you. Do keep in mind however, that the costs involved increase with this, as you mail the drawings to us and we scan them. Also we only accept copies of the blueprints / paper drawings so that they can be destroyed at our end and do not need to be mailed/shipped back to you (taking care of the hard-copy drawings and shipping / mailing them back is too much of a effort – frankly.)
What happens after you send the drawings to us:
- Upon receiving the scans, we analyze them for size, density, and complexity … the main intention is to get an idea of the number of hours our cad engineers would take to re-draw the scanned drawings in cad.
- A quote for the job is then submitted for your approval.
What if … “I have many drawings and do not wish to scan them before I know of the prices involved.” :
- We suggest that you send in as many drawings as possible for the analysis and quotation, but are with you on this.
- What we suggest for similar requirements is:
- Create separate groups of all your hard copy drawings based on drawing sizes. (Group A, Group B, etc.)
- If the drawings within all these groups have different densities and complexities, then further separate them out to sub-groups. (Group A-1, Group A-2, etc.)
- Make a list of total number of drawings within each group / sub-group.
- Send us 2 to 3 (two to three) representative drawings from each group / sub-group (along with a mention of the total quantities in each group / sub-group they represent.)
- This will allow is to analyze and provide you with a quotation for the entire set of drawings they represent.
- You can then send us scans for all the drawings once the bid/quotation is approved by you.
Is it cost effective?
The costs are typically more than what you would buy a automated scan to cad software for. But the advantages are immense, considering the accuracy and ease of subsequent modification that our paper to cad converted drawings allow. We also have an advantage of lower labor costs, due our office being in India (call it globalization.) So if you need the drawings converted to plainly be put on a archive and never edited again, using an automatic converter tool will be much more cost effective (many are free too .. use the Internet to search for them.) However, if you need these drawings to be modified and revised, our service will prove to be a time and costs saver for you (will also allow your engineers to edit the drawings with a smile on their face … try having them edit a automatic tool converted drawing and know the difference.)
What about quality:
As a leading Paper to CAD Conversion service provider, we know that quality is important. Our conversion process is one of the most optimized for the purpose of delivering high quality in each and every drawing conversion processed by us. Expert Paper to CAD Quality Assurance Engineers monitor and ensure that all drawings and dimensions are true and accurate as per the paper drawings received.
Need to test with a FREE sample first?
We are confident of our quality and invite you to send us a scan for a FREE SAMPLE Paper to CAD Conversion. We will convert a portion of your drawing at no charge to help check the quality of our services.